I always wanted to be an Astronaut when I was a kid. I had a growing fascination for space and humankind's collective desire to explore the unknown. I would stare into the sky for countless hours at night, mesmerized by the otherworldliness that somehow felt so close yet so far away. The millions of stars spangled in the sky were like tiny pinholes upon a sheet of black construction paper draped above the quiet suburb where I had lived, hiding undiscovered secrets behind its total blackness. Almost every evening, probably since I was ten years old, I would direct these fixations into the open expanse of the universe above and wonder, sometimes out loud, whispering softly: is there anybody out there? And often times I would answer myself: there must be.

The first time I had actually seen some sort of alien-like phenomenon was when I was twelve. I remember while staring into the sky one summer evening as I was playing with a handful of robot action figures on my front porch, a bright ball of light appeared slightly above where the sky abruptly hits the horizon. The oval shape radiated brightly in the distance and hovered in a particular spot for at least five minutes. The brightness fluctuated as it stood suspended in mid-air until finally it drifted sideways, a few feet to the right and then disappeared. At first perhaps I thought it might have been an airplane or some sort of military aircraft, but a few seconds later, a second light appeared in the same exact place the previous light was and once again slowly drifted to the right and disappeared. I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew what I saw was not "natural"--and it terrified me. I ran in the house throwing my Transformers into a pile on the ground, slamming the door behind me and headed straight for my parent's room. My mother, laying on her side underneath a thin blanket and eating soft batch cookies from a package of Almost Home, was hypnotized by the television set and immersed in an episode of Jeopardy. "Who is--hey, stop running in the house!" she yelled, looking at me in that firm parental scowl. I nodded submissively while catching my breath and slipped under the covers next to her in comfort that she would protect me. I never said a word about what I saw, not to her or anyone else for that matter.

Until I was about nineteen or twenty, I would wake up from mid-sleep to visions of grey, shiny-skinned figures with triangulated faces, bright hospital-like lights and strange noise that resembled whispers and clanking of metallic "tools." During that period of my life I was thoroughly convinced I had been abducted by alien life-forms--probed, tested and experimented on--until I came to the realization that those horrifying visions were just interpreted hallucinations from a disorder I had been suffering from called Sleep Paralysis.

As an adult, my condition has significantly diminished to once or twice a month, and even though I know exactly what it is that I am facing, I still frighten myself on occasion. To this day I continue to lose myself in the night sky, contemplating the possibilities of whether there is some sort of intelligent life-form existing beyond the infinite boundaries of the universe. While there is no physical evidence, I cannot deny the feasibility of such a thing. If we humans are here today in this world, intelligent as we are, it would be arrogant and ignorant of us to think that we are the only ones. If we are here now, then so are they (wherever they may be.)

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    hah! I remember you telling me about the aliens and how you believed you were abducted. Around the same time I read two of Whitley Streiber's books. Whenever I hung out with you and talking about this stuff I would go home and try to sleep and be freaked out. I would say a sort of mantra as I lay in bed, "Please aliens, if you choose to visit someone, not me! You don't want me, move along, move along!"

    Well, it has worked so far! gulp. (will be repeating this mantra tonight I guess!)
    phoenix said...
    Hahaha! Yea I freaked my self out after writing this. The past few days I have been burying my head under the blanket. LMAO! If aliens were to come, I guess my head under the blanket would not matter, but it's comforting to feel a tad bit invisible.
    Anonymous said...
    Even though it's annoying that my kitty, Pangaea takes up 1/3 of the bed, I'm thankful for her. Whenever she hears something she starts, so I know to be aware. SO when she is purring or just relaxing next to me, I am comforted, knowing nothing is in the room. TGK (Thank God for Kitties?)!
    phoenix said...
    For real! Whenever Atrus and Suki act really weird or if they start chasing invisible objects, I start to worry. But then again, most of the time Atrus is the only one that does crazy things like that, and sometimes I think he's just a little off. Remember what you said about crooked tails, well he has a little knick in his and on top of that he is polydactyl, meaning he has six toes in both front paws instead of five giving him "thumbs." So, he already is a little "weirdie," so I come to expect his strange behavior.
    Anonymous said...
    Yes, Shang has the crook in the end of her tail as well. I imagine that she huffs paint or something when no one is home. She has a few brain cells missing, but I don't judge her and she doesn't judge me...ahhhh kitty love.
    phoenix said...
    Kitty-love is unconditional. Even if they do something bad like tear open the plastic bag of a loaf of bread for a quick nibble, you still love them and want to rub their faces a minute later; And even if we accidently step on their tail or little paws or forget to feed them, they still want to make biscuits on our tummys shortly after.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2008 moonlitpath.net | Web hosting by 1and1. Powered by Blogger and Geckoandfly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.