Communication is one of the most important and intimate interactions we as people need in order to experience some sort of "human connection" and understanding. However, it is sometimes hindered by barriers such as cultural differences, ethnicity and in this case, deafness which make it often times difficult in doing so.

"Sign Language" can mean different things to different people. I didn't realize until now that the United States has several different sign systems such as Manually Coded English (MCE,) Signed Exact English (SEE) and American Sign Language (ASL.) While MCE and SEE are structured similarly to spoken English, ASL is unique in that it is its very own language; and like English, it has its own slang expressions and dialects which vary according to a signer's background. These are often referred to as "regional signs." Although American Sign Language is the type of sign language often used by most deaf people in order to communicate, the language is not universal. Just as there is no universal spoken language, ASL users will not understand British or Japanese sign language users. Many people falsely believe that ASL is merely a system by which a person can "finger spell" English words, but in fact is more than just a set of signs made with hands. It uses the accompaniment of facial expressions, head movements and various gestures, which differentiates certain signs that may seem the same or at least very similar. I think it is unfortunate that not every high school makes it mandatory to teach American Sign Language as a "foreign language" elective, which is primarily dominated by courses in Spanish, German and French, because I believe it is probably the most important of all the languages and certainly the most useful. This year one of the goals that I had made to myself was to learn American Sign Language, or at least the basics. I often interact with many people from the deaf community when I am at work and I thought it would be make it a far greater experience for them and for myself if I could speak to them, even if just a little, in their own language. I contemplated taking a college course to help me learn but realized that at this point in time it might be a little hard to fit into my schedule considering how early I have to wake up for work, my second job, my commitment to my workout schedule and while still having some time for myself, my friends and my partner, but at the same time I also did not want to give up in achieving this goal. So, after considering all my options, I decided to take it into my own hands (no pun intended.)

I was at the local bookstore the other day and while browsing through various books and products, I came across a "Learn American Sign Language" kit that teaches how to sign basic vocabulary including the alphabet, numbers, useful words and a few phrases which I thought could be an ideal alternative to taking a class. I figure I could learn a few signs each day and doing so in my own pace. So, far I have learned several pronouns and have been practicing the alphabet over and over. I realize that this definitely is no easy feat and it will probably take a very long time to master, but I imagine if I can dedicate myself in learning the basics of ASL that eventually I will be able to at least have some form of conversation with another signing person, however basic it may be. While understanding another person is a significant part of humanity, being able to communicate back to them is equally, if not more so, important. The deaf have been learning the language of "the hearing" for the past 150 years, I think it is just as critical for us to learn theirs.

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Wow you are learning sign? That's grat! If you want help let me know!

    -michelle
    phoenix said...
    Yes! I'm gonna need all the help that I can get! Thanks, Michelle!
    Anonymous said...
    Hey you, Viv directed me to your blog. Needless to say, I think it's great that you're learning ASL. Did you know that ASL is the 4th most commonly used language in the U.S.? You should Google the Milan Conference of 1880. It was a conference of educators of the deaf, supposedly an objective forum, but it was fixed (to make a long story short). At the end, it was decided that oralism was the best method; making deaf people to learn how to speak, rather than letting them sign. After this, all deaf teachers were fired from their positions. This was the start of what the Deaf community calls "The Dark Ages. Gallaudet, representing the U.S., was one of only two countries who opposed the conclusion of the conference.
    After realizing that people who are profoundly deaf cannot frickin speak, people came up with the SEE signs you mentioned. They basically put ASL signs into English-word format. It takes three times as long to sign a sentence in SEE than in ASL.
    Despite the oralists efforts and being experimented on (ear drums punctured, acid poured into their ears, being locked into closets when they couldn't pronounce a word correctly, hands tied so they couldn't sign-the latter of which is something my brother endured before my parents decided to move to CA for CSD), Deaf people have kept ASL alive. In the 60's, William Stokoe became interested in ASL and went on to prove that ASL fulfills all requirements of being a true language (not a system of gestures, as most people commonly think), with its own complex rules of syntax and grammar. It wasn't until the 80's that other linguists and such came to accept and realize this, and now you see more and more high schools and universities that allow ASL classes as credits towards a foreign language.
    ASL is nothing like English and actually more closely resembles French (if you research Laurent Clerc, you'll know why)....Okay, my speech has come to an end. If you want any info on some good resources, let me know!
    Maybe when you come to my wedding you can hold your own in any conversations with the deaf peeps that will be in attendance :)
    Okay, now I'm gonna look at the rest of your blog.
    phoenix said...
    Wow! I can only imagine how people in the Deaf Community must have felt during that controversial period in our history. The idea that someone would even try to force people to do something that they could not physically do and eliminate another human's only way of communication is horrifying; and to think that only the United States and Britain were opposed to the ban is appaling to me. Like I have said, communication is an essential part of being human and it is sad that others have tried to restrict another's ability to experience that "human connection." It is amazing what people can do when they stand up for what they believe is right and challenge those who oppose them, even if you are in the minority.
    pHluid said...
    Wait... Wait... You found the kit? LOL. Didn't I pick it up and tell you that you should get this? LOL.
    Anonymous said...
    Take a lookee, it's a really cool project that Boston University is doing for deaf peeps, and even cooler because I'm in it :)

    http://www.bu.edu/today/science-tech/2008/02/28/sign-times-asl
    phoenix said...
    Wow! That's awesome! It's great how technology today has advanced so much that you can simply sign in front of a camera and it will know exactly what you are saying. It would be a very useful tool when someone is trying to learn and I can imagine how great it feels to be involved in such a project!

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2008 moonlitpath.net | Web hosting by 1and1. Powered by Blogger and Geckoandfly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.